Saturday, December 14, 2013

Why "The Crow" directed by Alex Proyas and starring Brandon Lee reaches the biggest audience

In my pursuit of understanding myself and my moviemaking art, I develop deep connections to films that have changed my life. My favorite movie is "The Crow". I still own my VHS copy, I have the DVD, and I have a digital copy. I make it a point to see the movie on or near Halloween, and usually once during the summer.

I watched it on Blu-Ray this last year and saw many different things this time. The lighting seemed a little brighter and the story became more visual in its tone.

Below is a recollection of why the film got to me and why it reaches to the gothic era audience as well as male and female audience members alike.

It's a revenge story.
The reason Eric Draven does what he does is for love.
His true, only love that was taken from him, and is ultimately brought back to him.
Eric Draven as a person or as a sentient being is hurt. He does not want to put revenge on his enemy, he needs to do it.
Eric Draven is not a talker, he is a doer.
The main villains don't care about what's wrong and what's right.
It's not just an action film. It's a thriller with action elements.
The movie is shot monochromatic and it's dark. Black and white films reach to art audiences.
Eric Draven comes back to life to exact revenge on the ones that deserve it.
The film is dirty, very little is clean and crisp. There is trash blowing around the entire city.
Eric Draven is a brooding man.
The villain, T-Bird, is not the real last bad guy.
The last villain, Top Dollar, is truly sorry for what had to be done. He has to die anyway.

The film takes itself seriously as if this situation really could happen. That's where the magic comes from. No one can shake the idea that what is happening in the story is real. No one can be fully sure what happens next.



No comments: