Saturday, December 14, 2013

Goals of filmmaking

I'm here to wish you a great week coming up. My favorite holiday is Halloween as I get to dress like a maniac and no one seems to care.

My goals are lofty. Sometimes they fail miserably, sometimes they just work, and sometime they work but not the way I'd hoped them to. I'd like to take a moment to share my goals and why I do them. As you can see, I treat all new ideas by starting off small and working my way up higher, and eventually I move on to something new. Over the past 7 years when I moved to California from my hometown in search of bigger and better since I saw the future that was there for me: I had nearly topped out, with very little more I could accomplish in my search of truth.

I moved to California to work. I'm serious about story, whether it's drama or comedy or documentary. I go at a steady beat. I rarely will jump in to attack. I want to seek and find out tactics from others while gathering information and learning from them as well. Know myself and know the people around me. After moving to Los Angeles almost 2 years ago, I studied by watching everyone around me -whether film related or not- to see what works and what doesn't in business and art.

Film is a specialty market. You have to reinvent yourself over and over. I've already got plans to reinvent myself once I've touched the top of the movie mountain here. I'll tell you later about that. Think of companies like Apple that make products that people don't know they need yet. That's the kind of space to be in with any entrepreneurship state that you are seeking.

I'm a writer, director, and film producer. I spend time writing with people who like to write, I'll call friends to direct them in my movie ideas, and I spend countless hours writing up business proposals, going to fundraisers encouraging others to give support, and invest in these projects, speaking at events to encourage others to do well, and overall being a witty guy. This makes me one of the best film producers I know.

Speaking of producing, my film Panomundo has a goal of $100,000 by the end of March. We have gotten support to the tune of $35,000 so far, so we are almost halfway there. And this is all private sponsorships, grants, and a little bit from crowdsourcing. When I came on to this project I had very little knowledge about Trinidad & Tobago and the steelpan. Now people ask me questions about the country and origins of the drum. Very exciting stuff. I'm going to the islands in March/April to celebrate the wonderful movie we're creating and I hope you will watch my path as I go higher and higher up this mountain. Thank you for being my friend, my fan, and a well-wisher. I'm almost there.

No comments: