Thursday, June 14, 2012

Movies were my father.

My father didn't spend a lot of time with me growing up. He was never there for football games or anything. We'd go camping every summer, but I don't think me and him ever connected. I remember he didn't show up to my sister's high school graduation. That killed her. It was the happiest day and the saddest day for her. I'm not sure why our father was not close to us. And so it became movies that I grew up with and taught me about life.

Because of them I know how to fight. I watched tons of movies like Rocky, any kung-fu flick, action movies that taught me to live dangerously. Of course I've grown up now and don't need that thrill as much but any fighting done as a schoolkid was self taught.

I also learned how to talk to girls, and how to dance. Movies have traditionally been Boy meets Girl. That is where I learned about girls. By watching them and trying to understand them. Am I close to knowing what I want to know? No. But I'm closer to understanding what it means to be close to someone and letting them into my life as well.

I think movies have taught me what I want to be when I become a father. I want to be the caring dad, the understanding dad. The dad that plays baseball with his son. The dad that is there in every pivotal point in his son or daughter's life.  I owe the movies and am grateful to have known them.
 
My father never taught me any of these things. Movies were my father growing up.

No comments: