Sunday, November 23, 2014

Two

My first film was done with the help of my brother, who I met at the age of 13. He was given up for adoption and he was able to find us. This was back before the internet became popular. Our talks ranged from what sports we liked to how good we were in a fight. You see, my brother and I never got the opportunity to grow up as kids together, therefore, we lost out on a few chances to see who was the leader of the group. We are blood related, but as far as official paperwork goes, we are just two really good friends. When I told him I wanted to make movies, he wanted to be in my movie. Now, the end result was a 21 year old experimenting with moving images, but luckily I've grown my dedication to my craft. I've created over 50 short films, some very experimental, some have had slight viral success. I've always wanted to move forward and make a feature-film.


I write one feature-length film a year. About three years ago, I wrote an action-thriller that got some of the best responses I couldn't dream of. The problem is that no one will hand over millions and millions of dollars to a first time director. So I went back to the drawing board and wrote a personal story with dramatic elements - a combination of my brother’s life  and mine. What I came up with is Two. A story about someone adopted that goes searching for answers, and the answers aren't the ones that he was going for.


This is a personal journey, and I’d like for everyone to see my film. I’d like to have others see what being American by birth and having roots of somewhere unknown, is really like. I’ve rewritten this script almost a dozen times now, and with each revision, it becomes more magical. And I don’t use that term loosely.

I’ve directed dozens of films and commercials for startup companies and small businesses. I’ve produced music videos and commercials for large corporations. I’ve produced a feature documentary now. I want to see what else is out there to make as art, and make it a profitable venture. I can’t see myself doing anything else.

No comments: